A mudflow composed chiefly of volcaniclastic materials on the flank of a volcano. The debris carried in the flow includes pyroclasts, blocks from primary lava flows, and epiclastic material. Syn: mudflowNeuendorf, K.K.E., Mehl, J.P., Jr., and Jackson, J.A., eds., 2005, Glossary of Geology: American Geological Institute, 799 p.
Below is a list of publications related to Lahar. Select a publication number to access more detailed information and their respective files available for download.
- RI 2015-2
- Larsen, J.F., Neal, C.A., Schaefer, J.R., Kaufman, A.M., and Lu, Zhong, 2015, The 2008 phreatomagmatic eruption of Okmok Volcano, Aleutian Islands, Alaska: Chronology, deposits, and landform changes: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2015-2, 53 p. http://doi.org/10.14509/29405
- RI 2015-7
- Reger, R.D., Stevens, D.S.P., and Koehler, R.D., 2015, Surficial geology of the Tyonek area, south-central Tyonek Quadrangle, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2015-7, 38 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360. http://doi.org/10.14509/29471
- RI 2014-2
- Herriott, T.M., Nye, C.J., Reger, R.D., Wartes, M.A., LePain, D.L., and Gillis, R.J., 2014, Geologic context, age constraints, and sedimentology of a Pleistocene volcaniclastic succession near Mount Spurr volcano, south-central Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2014-2, 35 p. http://doi.org/10.14509/27261
- RI 2014-5
- Stelling, P.L., Beget, J.E., Gardner, J.E., and Schaefer, J.R., 2014, Preliminary volcano-hazard assessment for Fisher volcano, Unimak Island, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2014-5, 32 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:500,000. http://doi.org/10.14509/29146
- B 2139
- Keith, T.E.C., 1995, The 1992 eruptions of Crater Peak vent, Mount Spurr Volcano, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 2139, 220 p.
- P 1447-B
- Scott, K.M., 1989, Magnitude and frequency of lahars and lahar-runout flows in the Toutle-Cowlitz River system: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1447-B, 41 p.