About the DGGS Volcanology Section
The Volcanology Section, established in 2007, focuses on processes and hazards associated with the more than 50 active volcanoes in Alaska. The section is home for the DGGS participants in the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO), an interagency collaboration between the U.S. Geological Survey, University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute, and DGGS. Volcanology Section staff conduct geologic studies of active volcanoes to estimate their future eruptive potential and behavior, thus aiding in mitigating volcano-hazard risks. Results of these studies are released as maps and reports. The section also creates and maintains a very large, public, web-accessible database of information on volcano history and current activity (www.avo.alaska.edu), as well as an internal website providing communication, record keeping, and data sharing within AVO. In 2008 the section became heavily involved in geothermal resource issues, providing information to other agencies and the private sector and participating in state activities leading up to the geothermal lease sale at Mt. Spurr and providing technical reviews of proposals to the Renewable Energy Fund established by HB152 in 2008.
- Alaska Volcano Observatory Quaternary volcano geochemical database - As part of DGGS's ongoing efforts with the Geological Database of Information on Volcanoes in Alaska (GeoDIVA), DGGS and AVO staff have created a database structure to hold geochemical data on Quaternary volcanic rocks in Alaska.
- Alaska Volcano Observatory social media - To provide timely and accurate information on volcanic hazards and warnings of impending dangerous activity to local, state, and federal officials and the public AVO is working toward using social media such as Twitter and Facebook to reach a larger and more diverse audience than our current website, fax, and email protocols provide.
- Alaska Volcano Observatory website and database - Geologic database and website dedicated to providing of information on volcanoes in Alaska
- Chiginagak - Chiginagak volcano volcanic event response, geologic mapping, and hazard assessment
- Kasatochi - Geologic studies and ecosystem response of the Kasatochi Volcano
- Okmok - Geologic mapping and volcanic hazard assessment of the Okmok Volcano